Serves: 6 People
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ bunch fresh mint, chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemons juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash grains. Bring water to boil.
- Add barley, salt and turmeric.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes or until grains are cooked and water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet until they turn golden brown and their aroma comes out, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer grains to a large bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix gently.