Serves: 6 People
- 1 cup kamut or wheat berries (or ½ cup of each)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ bunch kale, chopped
- ½ boiled yam, diced
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash grains.
- Bring stock to boil and add grains and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes or until grains are cooked and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- While the grains are cooking, prepare other ingredients.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Blanch kale.
- Transfer grains to a large bowl; add onion, yam, walnuts and kale. Mix well.
- Add vinegar and olive oil to your taste.
Make this salad you own by tossing in any additions you like such as diced boiled beets, dried cranberries or fresh rosemary.